Commissioned by Josephine Louise Newcomb, in loving memory of Warren Smith Newcomb
The King David window was commissioned in 1894 by Josephine Louise Newcomb in honor of her late husband Warren. The window tells the biblical story of King David, depicting David looking up towards heaven as he plays the harp, implying that he had been spoken to by God and that he is aware of the presence of the divine. Tiffany portrays the strings of the harp in steel rod – two of which need to be re-welded -- which is unexpected in stained glass work, but can be seen in another of Tiffany’s depiction of David in the South Parish Congregational Church in Augusta, Maine. This window is larger than the Newcomb King David Window, which allows for the beautiful landscape designs the artist is known for.
This King David window was originally placed next to the St. Cecilia Window in the Newcomb Chapel on Newcomb College Garden District campus. There are many similarities between the King David and St. Cecilia windows, mainly that the globes of these two windows feature examples of "favrile" glass. Favrile means "handmade". Favrile glass is made by blowing a fine metal dust or powdered glass over hot glass to create a reflective iridescence. This is not a technique Tiffany invented, but he bought an American patent for it so only his Studio could use it. Soon favrile became synonymous with Tiffany glass in America.
Click an image to view a larger version
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios: