Kenneth Eugene Smith
(Scio, New York, 1907 - 1980, Indiana)
Kenneth Smith joined Newcomb in 1929 to supervise the technical direction of the pottery and remained on faculty until 1946. He was a ceramic chemist and pottery instructor who, after Jonathan Hunt’s departure in 1933, also became a potter for Newcomb Pottery and Newcomb Guild--the latter of which he helped establish in 1942 with a proposal to Tulane’s Board of Administrators. From 1943-1945 he also taught in the Tulane College of Engineering. Hunt later worked for the US State Department in Honduras, where he helped establish and became faculty at the La Escuela Nacional de Nella Artes in Tegucigalpa. In 1946, Smith moved to Indianapolis where he worked for the American Art Clay Company until his retirement in 1974. An editor for Ceramics Monthly for more than twenty years, he was also a member of the American Ceramic Society, the National Institute of Ceramic Engineers, and served as a past president of the Southeastern Art Association. Smith earned a BS in ceramic engineering at Alfred University in New York in 1929 before continuing on to graduate school at Ohio State University, where he earned an MFA in 1939 based on three years of Summer study.